Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Chronicles of Iridescence, Chapter 109: Nice

Things have probably come to a point where I really need someone to tell-no, reprimand me and DEMAND that I stop being too nice.

Come to think of it, I probably have been for the CORS bidding (For those who don't know or have forgotten, CORS (Centralised Online Registration System) is a system by which I bid for my modules in NUS), though things look like they might turn out fine.

Even though that was after I made a few calls.

But in general, I was...acting myself. Didn't 'bang table', didn't 'make demands', didn't tell the staff about my situation in a way that would take them either on a guilt trip of mishandling the 'future of a graduate student' or in a case where things are being grudgingly done.

The question, though, was if I had been a little more....'not so nice', could I have gotten things done sooner and more effectively?

Banging tables and flipping the wrong switches of people aside, that translates into being more assertive, more driven, more...passionate, even.

But my experiences with the King has taught me to be patient with everything. For example, telling Him that I want this done NOW isn't going to get it done now.

It works. Most of the time things come and happen, but they happen on a last-minute basis.

Maybe more assertiveness is in order.





The prospect is scary, though, because it can mean imposing your will and your intentions on others, however mild it is.

What is so frightening about it is the possibility that you can take it overboard and become self-centered, or be mistaken for being self-centered by others who do not really know what's going on.

Still, maybe it doesn't hurt to try?

After all, even if everyone in the world misunderstands or simply doesn't care about what I do, at least the King does.

No comments: