Monday, December 20, 2010

Chronicles of Iridescence, Chapter 102: Little Things

A rather enlightening and humbling conversation with a few of my peers (some of them younger, but probably wiser than me and some others I know) gave me a fresh opportunity to explore the concept of  'impacting others through doing small things'.


In the context of relationships and friendships, the female side advised me that girls appreciate the small things or gestures - The gentlemanly gesture of opening the door for them, pulling out the chair for them to be seated first, getting them small little gifts or stuff....Those sorts of things.

Often tested and found true, I suppose, or else they would never have said something like that. Besides, it IS from their point of view. Can't go wrong with that, can it?

Apparently, The dastardly thing that starts with 'R' proves it wrong.

Reality isn't so kind, apparently, because humans are complex creatures, let alone women. Apparently times do change, and small no longer cuts it, I think.

But I still do it anyway. After all, its not like doing small little things from your sincerity is ineffective in building up relationships.

Perhaps, I daresay, even in repairing relationships.


You can't jump in straight anyway, and it was a mistake I made too often and realised too late.

I'll keep doing it, even if nothing happens. Frankly speaking, the idea that small things are done too often and cause the other party to no longer appreciate it is a concern. After all, you're not the only one doing those things, and your 'small' compared to the 'small' of others can be much more inferior in size and perceived sincerity. Other factors come in too, like time spent, impressions left, abilities, talents, emotional quotient etc.

But that shouldn't stop you.

That shouldn't stop me.

Especially not when I'm very sincere about it.

...............
............
.........
......

Oh, the response from the guys' side?

We just went "Good, good good!!"

.....Talk about being conversational.

No comments: