Monday, September 6, 2010

Chronicles of iridescence, Chapter 72: No Time to (Insert Title here)

Been up to no good.

At least, my mind and my attention has been. Both were wandering all over the place, and you have no idea (or maybe you do, whoever you are) how difficult it is to bring them back.

In any case, it finally feels that they have settled after kicking and thrashing violently, wanting out again. The pens weren't secure enough, it seems, and time and again they sneak out through that hole in the fence.

But as the chinese saying goes, 亡羊补牢...Or as the literal translation goes - when a sheep dies, you fix the fence before it's too late. Feels that at least I've managed to put some planks and nailed them to the broken parts of the fence.

So yeah, I should be fine. It's just a process, I guess, no matter how painful it was or how I kept feeling like nothing's going right, in the end I kept clinging on. The last time I probably used tape, and now planks. Perhaps the next time will be a thorough fixing, and the next will be a renovation.

Then the next thing to do would be to hire more shepherds for my mind and emotions. It feels like this is going to take forever but...Who knows?

Spurts do happen.

------------------

On a more relevant note, the title is an allusion to something I've been learning in campus.

Interactive storytelling, an intriguing concept of telling stories in a non-linear way. Basically you can have multiple endings, have different routes to go to and make decisions after going through procedural changes that have you leaping from one part of the story to another, sometimes veering onto a side plot then back again, the decisions you make affecting how the story turns out.

For avid gamers, familiar works like Dragon Age and Mass Effect as well as various visual novels (Clannad, Kanon, Shuffle!) would know this more. It's not just the games part that has me in a tizzy, but also the storytelling aspects of this module. It makes me feel a lot better about my choice for a major after realising that CNM is.....a multi-faucet discipline, to put it nicely.


It is also here, though, that I realise how small I was compared to the many talented people in the module. Their stories revved up my imagination like never before, working the engines until the fuel tank was running on empty. So many possibilities! So much potential! Such ingenuity for such a simple premise!


Frankly speaking, I had felt like a big fish in a big sea in terms of writing, but after observing and listening and reading project proposal after project proposal, I realised how insignificant I was.


Gotta read more. When I make the time, that is.


Perhaps then I'll really be on that road I've always wanted to walk on.

No comments: