Thursday, April 1, 2010

Random Musings, Continued

What do you know? Laughs were had for a while. Amazingly, it was almost like what I was thinking about had came true. Students were uncharacteristically responsive to Lecturer Z today at the Social Psych of New Media lecture. She just seemed to press one of those right buttons today, showing a Just For Laughs segment to emphasize the disruptions of shared public space and displays of behavior that was beyond the standards of social acceptability. For quick reference, here's the clip:



I find it pretty hilarious how some of the people who had been pranked actually used the shoe as though it was second nature. Amazing how they chose to ignore social norms and just went ahead with the flow.

Of course, not everyone would have acted like these people. There are probably more than half of the local population here who would cast a quirked eyebrow, a look of distaste or simple get up and leave immediately without reaction to this kind of things. Apathy and pragmatism rules in Singapore, baby.

That was the exact situation my friend and I found ourselves in when he pulled out his laptop, two USB PS2 controllers and started up Pro Evo Soccer 2010 in the Arts canteen. I made myself felt better by thinking that Cyclops of X-Men fame was thankfully (1)a fictional character and (2) not attending the same University as me. The feeling faded after a while though, since I couldn't care less. All I wanted to do was to relax a bit with some guy pal entertainment.

Making it in time for the Einstein's Universe lecture and pondering how I would have to rearrange the cells in my brain after this lecture, I had Prof. P to thank for livening up the subject as much as possible with his serious quotes that somehow turn into a joke, even though he keeps repeating, "No, I'm serious about this." One more cheer for laughter in the LT.

And then there was the little treat I found in one of those interesting little contraptions that presented quaint little bottles of beverages on a conveyor belt:

STRAWBERRY MILKKKKKK!!! =D

Funny choice of drink for a guy, no? Thanks to a weak stomach, I can't take more than a cup of coffee without feeling hyper, and Milo? Too generic. This is the nectar that keeps my thoughts flowing and my brain cells in one place. Somehow I survived the lecture with two bottles of pink goodness and stayed awake throughout. FOR ONCE.

* * *
As they say, though...All good things must come to an end. Somehow my mood just went downhill from here, but my King has kept me lifted up somehow. Most of those thoughts had to do with church, unfortunately...Something I might touch on some other time.

For now, after a day of laughter and fun and probably another on Good Friday, it's going back to rushing projects, rushing tutorials, mugging...

No comments: