Sunday, May 23, 2010

Chronicles of Iridescence, Chapter 15: Unexpected Expectations

I've got a feeling that I've used this title before, but what the heck.

Getting up was tiring. Going to serve was tiring. Even in the heat while saying hello to the cars and basking in the presence of VIPs and leaders was tiring, if somewhat interesting in its own little ways. I had always thought that this was going to be another normal Sunday, another normal service, another normal day, another normal session of healing (which in itself is not normal, and that tells you a lot about miracles happening in that place). Then I would go off to do some normal helping out with the dialect services and help out the elderly normally.

But you see, the King has said to test Him in certain things, that as you give your time and your effort, He shall pour a blessing so great that your storehouse could not even contain. He is the abundance. He is the unexpected. He surprises everyone and anyone as He wills it.

Pretty cool, isn't it? Pretty cool to have a King like that.

And that was exactly what happened. Though it sounded bad, but I didn't expect my usher group (love you guys!) to celebrate a belated birthday with me. I was surprised too that some of them remembered what I truly desired in my heart as well, as I've only mentioned it to them once or twice throughout our countless days of serving in the King's house.

Then was the main course for the day.

-----------------------------------------

Serving elderly people and helping the people who serve them in dialect church never fails to amaze me. I don't know where they found the love, the patience, the caramaderie, the connection between the young ministry members and the elderly folks, some of whom can be very difficult. But yet, most of them were not.

What amazes me the most was how sincere they were in giving thanks. Yes, some don't say it, but they indicate it clearly. And yes again, it is true that I came with the purpose of serving my King and the people he so loved that he gave his only son to perish on the cross for us, but it was just so refreshing, so edifying to hear people encourage you with words of thanks.

Another amazing thing is how much thanksgiving an elderly member had when I spoke to him. Everytime I spoke, he keeps thanking the King. One might argue that the wheelchair-bound man had nothing to lose, but I've seen people lose hope completely because of their infirmities. I've seen people leak tremendous amounts of faith just because of a slipped disc, not even because they might not even be able to walk ever again. Yet this amicable man kept thanking the King even as I tried to encourage him.

I really hope he receives his healing according to his faith and thanksgiving. I really hope they all do.

Thinking about it, I feel somewhat awed and ashamed. Here was an elderly man who couldn't even walk, who had probably 10 years more, give and take, before going to the King, Yet so many of us youngsters are in the Age of Emo. Every little setback, every break up, every spurned love, every rejection and we get so, so down.

What about this man who could never feel the joy of laughing and jumping for joy while praising the King? What about him who had to suffer from not being able to walk? If he can keep thanking the King for everything in his life despite his circumstances, shouldn't we at least try to do the same?

And again, the scenery of the sky from the east end of Singapore was wonderful. Not breathtaking, since I wasn't on high ground and couldn't see the impeccable mix of colors on a celestial palette with an invisible brush weaving its way across the sky, but beautiful nonetheless.

And despite my tiredness, I found a cheer in my step. I found an interesting viewpoint to look at things, and suddenly the evening sky didn't look so dreary.

Maybe that was what I needed to spur me for the incoming eight days. Remembering to serve the people to the fullest but also remembering to love them. Also remembering to receive while giving. Also remembering to believe despite the circumstances.

Common sense tells me I've been stupid. Spiritual sense tells me to stand firm and work appropriately hard, letting the King do the rest when I sleep. Reality slaps me hard. Dreams and visions comfort and encourage me with hope and good desire.

I don't quite understand this '4th dimension' thingy that a particularly esteemed pastor had mentioned as his main theme in a book fully, but the stability.....

I know it is coming, and I shall believe, with as little expectation of immediate result, that breakthrough is coming.

No comments: