Thursday, May 27, 2010

Chronicles of Iridescence, Chapter 19: The POWER of 温故知新

For all those that don't know Chinese, the phrase means "Revising the old and gaining the new". At least with the literal translation.

In the meantime, GO. LEARN. CHINESE. Especially if you are a Singaporean Chinese. You can't imagine the number of times I had to switch to somewhat fluent Chinese to help the PRC delegates understand that they were heading in the wrong direction.

Or GO. LEARN....some other language. Like Hangeul (Korean), or Nihon-go (Japanese), or Thai (Thai). Stop planning to do this and that and not take any action in the meantime at all. As much as I say this to some people, this is also a form of self-encouragement, so don't mind it too much.

In any case, the phrase meant a lot to me, and hopefully it will mean a lot to whoever's reading this.

To be honest, I had no idea why the phrase popped up so many times in my head recently. Then I realise, that it might well have been the King speaking to me.

What does it mean? Simple. It means what it means.

Confused? Why should you be? It's that simple. Revising the old and gaining the new. Simple as that! Some more concrete examples to help explain this concept would be like this:

-Revising your old homework constantly and gaining new levels of knowledge and expertise in the subject.(Secondary students who read my blog, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. DO THAT.)

-Rummaging through your old toys and finding a new game to play, just because of that action.

-Reading an old novel and gaining new insights on the plot, the character, the story, its strengths and its weaknesses.

-Playing an old game and gaining new ways to beat it.

And more importantly, reading old verses from the Word and receiving new revelations from them.

I was just reminded of this in today's awesome opening day of the Asia Conference. Some of the things preached were things we have heard of countless of times. So many times have we heard it that some might even suspect we had already timed when to clap and cheer and shout for the King and for his great Subjects.

But that's not it.

That's. Not. It.

That is why I felt that it was a shame when some people started walking out. In my mind, I just felt like screaming, "What about receiving new ideas, new insights, new revelations? Why not sit down and give it a go?"

Of course, some people really did have to go, and I applaud them for even being able to make it down all the way to Singapore just to attend. But for those who have heard of this before, who stand up and leave or start doing other things like using their smartphones for SMSes and Net surfing, I just felt that it was a pity.

Maybe if they had listened, they might grasp something that day.

Maybe if they had listened, their breakthrough would come.

Maybe if they had listened, their troubles would be lifted up to the King and they can feel his joy as He saturate their hearts. 

Which is why I found it somewhat surprising that I felt glum at not being able to hear the two earlier sermons. Messages of the same kind, I have heard before, but revelation is a new thing, and the King simply loves new things. From you and to put in you. It might have been the 'craze' talked about two weeks before, but I realise that wasn't it.

Perhaps I've received part of my breakthrough already. Besides, an amazing healing came when I served. And served. And served, keeping in my heart and mind constantly that I'm doing this because I love the King and the people he loved, the people he brought here to bless...not because I wanted to impress, not because I wanted to run away from the issues in my life, not because I was obligated to.

And with that birth forth a fount of joy when I served and somehow, along that road, I realised the inexplicable pain in my stomach just....vanished.

And you thought it was 'just serving for another big event'.

And that is also why I will continue to bite and cling on to every single session. Every single sermon, hoping that I get something new from what might be perceived old by most people. I don't want to miss any of it, even if I have to.

Darn...Maybe I'll just get the package, even though it costs a bomb for me.

So to everyone out there, please practise the principle of  温故知新, because I'm very, very certain that it will impact your life one way or another.

If you just take action and do it.

If you just Believe it.

No comments: